Just in time for fall! This scrumptious French Apple Cake is the perfect treat after a savory fall meal. Pairs well with coconut whipped cream!
- 2 Granny Smith apples
- 1 Gala apple
- 1 egg
- 1 cup + 5 tsp coconut sugar or monk fruit sugar
- 2/3 cup goat butter or coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 cup gluten free flour
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tbsp almond slivers (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 370 degrees.
- Grease 8-9 inch springform pan and dust it with flour.
- Peel, core, and thinly slice apples. Combine them in a bowl and microwave for about 2 minutes until they are soft. Let them cool and strain excess liquid.
- Beat an egg with 5 tsp sugar for about 2 minutes, until pale in color. Add melted butter (or coconut oil) and vanilla.
- In another bowl, combine flours, baking powder, salt, and remaining 1 cup sugar.
- Gradually add flour mixture to the egg mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture, beating until just combined after each addition. The batter will end up being the consistency of cookie dough.
- Take 1 cup of batter and combine it with egg yolks in another bowl. Stir in 3/4 of prepared apples, until combined. Pour this batter into prepared pan.
- Spread the remaining batter over the top. Put reserved 1/4 of apple slices on top and press slightly into the batter. Sprinkle with almond flakes if desired.
- Place springform pan on a baking sheet. Bake in bottom third of the oven for 30 minutes. Raise it to middle oven and bake 25-35 minutes more until a wooden pick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Loosely cover with foil, to prevent excess browning, if necessary.
- Let cool in pan completely before serving. Enjoy with coconut whipped cream!
Recipe adapted from Pola Baker.