It’s fall! And here in the South that means beautiful changing leaves, uncertain temperatures from one day to the next, and butternut squash everything! I recently made this for my dear friend Donna’s birthday and it was a hit! And, the perfect fall meal!
Ingredients – Butternut Squash Spaghetti
- 1 large (or 2 small) butternut squash – peel, remove seeds, and chop into cubes (about 1/2”)
- 2 T extra virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion – chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic – minced
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 T thyme
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 T honey
- 1 T rosemary
- 1 tsp sage powder
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup canned coconut milk
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 lb gluten free spaghetti noodles
- 2 T sage leaves – chopped
Ingredients – Vegan Parmesan
- 1 cup cashews
- 4 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt or powder
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, toss the butternut squash with olive oil, onion, garlic, red pepper flakes, thyme, salt and pepper.
- Spread butternut squash mixture onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and drizzle with honey. Bake for 35-40 minutes until soft.
- While butternut squash is cooking, bring a pot of water to a boil and add pasta. Cook until al dente, drain water and set aside in the pot you cooked it in.
- Once butternut squash is cooked, transfer the squash mixture to a food processor and slowly add vegetable broth, coconut milk, rosemary and sage powder. Mix until puréed to a smooth liquid mixture. Set aside.
- In a small pan, add a drizzle of olive oil. Add sage leaves and sauté for 1-2 minutes (or until crispy). Remove and set aside.
- In a food processor, combine all ingredients for Vegan Parmesan and mix until fine. Set aside.
- Place the pot of noodles back on the stove on low heat and stir in the butternut squash mixture. Toss to combine noodles with the butternut squash mixture.
- Serve topped with crispy sage leaves and vegan parmesan. Enjoy!