Thanksgiving is nearly here and I can just smell all the traditional yumminess!! This is a recipe I developed after searching for the perfect gluten and dairy free recipe for green bean casserole, but nothing struck my fancy. So, hope you enjoy!
INGREDIENTS – MUSHROOM SOUP (MAKE FIRST):
• 1/3 cup gluten free flour
• 4 oz white mushrooms (finely chopped)
• 1 T olive oil
• 1 1/4 cup chicken broth
• 1 cup canned coconut milk
• 1 tsp garlic powder
• 1 tsp onion powder
• 1/4 tsp celery salt
INGREDIENTS – GREEN BEAN CASSEROLE:
• 24 oz frozen green beans
• 3 slices bacon (finely chopped)
• 2 medium onions (minced)
• 2 cloves garlic (minced)
• 1/4 cup gluten free flour
• 2 1/4 cup mushroom soup
• 1/2 cup chicken broth
• 1/4 tsp onion powder
• 1/4 tsp garlic powder
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1 medium onion – yep, 2nd one! (sliced into rings)
• 1 T olive oil
• 2 tsp coconut sugar
• First, make the mushroom soup by sauteeing mushrooms with olive oil in a sauce pan over medium heat. Once mushrooms release liquid, add the flour and stir. Add the vegetable broth and stir/whisk to break up any flour clumps. Once clumps are gone, add coconut milk. Bring to a simmer and add onion powder, garlic powder and celery salt. Simmer for about five minutes or until thickened.
• Now, coat the inside of your slow cooker with coconut oil or avocado spray and add green beans. Add the mushroom soup over the top of the green beans and stir.
• In a pan on the stove, saute the bacon until lightly browned. Add minced onions and garlic and saute for another 1-2 minutes. Add flour evenly to the pan and stir, coating bacon, onions and garlic. Add the chicken broth, onion powder and garlic powder and stir. Let simmer for about 2-3 minutes. Now add over the top of green beans and stir.
• Cover slow cooker and cook on high for 2.5 – 3 hours or low for 5 – 6 hours.
• About 30 minutes before serving, add olive oil to a pan on medium heat. Cut the 2nd onion into rings and saute in pan with 2 tsp of coconut sugar. Turn heat on low and continue to saute onions until carmelized.
• Add carmelized onions to the top of the green beans and serve.