Skip to content
GLUTEN FREE FRIED CHICKEN
- 4 T lemon juice
- 4 cups plain almond milk
- 1 T paprika
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp onion powder
- salt and pepper
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose gluten-free flour
- 1 T smoked paprika
- 6 chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- First, make the buttermilk by combining the lemon juice with the milk and let sit for 5 minutes. This will turn the milk into buttermilk.
- Now slice the chicken into chicken tenders (about 1 1/2 inch thick pieces, cut along long side of chicken). Set aside.
- Heat oven to 450.
- Lay down a piece of parchment paper on a baking sheet.
- In a bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, paprika, garlic power, and onion powder. Add a pinch of salt and pepper and stir.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together a pinch each of salt and pepper, flour, and smoked paprika.
- Set a large cast-iron skillet on medium-high heat. As the pan is heating, line up the chicken, the bowl of buttermilk mixture, and the bowl of spiced flour. Put oil into the hot pan.
- Once the oil has been sufficiently heated, dip a piece of chicken in the batter. Shake off any excess liquid. Then dip the chicken in the flour and coat it entirely.
- Place the chicken in the hot oil. Repeat with all the pieces of chicken. (Don’t overcrowd the pan. You can always do this in two batches.)
- Flip the chicken pieces when the bottoms are nicely browned. When both sides are browned, put the chicken pieces onto the prepared baking sheet.
- When all the chicken has been browned and laid on the baking sheet, put the baking sheet in the oven. Cook the chicken until the internal temperature is 155 degrees (or until it’s not pink inside).
- Remove from oven and serve.